Real Estate Transfer Tax Guidelines
The Real Estate Transfer Tax is the responsibility of the buyer.
To obtain a transfer stamp the following conditions must be met:
- The property must be clear of all debts to the Village, including the most current water bill (the final water bill will be mailed to a forwarding address provided after closing). To obtain a clearance letter and general real estate transfer tax information, e-mail the Village of Romeoville Finance Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. At that point, the clearance letter process will begin and a final water reading will be ordered. Clearance letters are valid for five (5) business days.
- A final meter reading is not required for an exempt transaction if the water account is in good standing and the name on the account will remain the same.
When you are ready to have the deed stamped:
- Provide the Village with your clearance letter (PDF). This is a sample form, you must call the Village to obtain the completed form for the property. A clearance letter is required for all transactions including exempt stamps.
- Provide the Village with the original or copy of the deed.
- For non-exempt transactions provide the Village with a signed copy of the State of Illinois Declaration Form (PTAX-203).
- For exempt transactions provide the Village's Certificate of Exemption. The deed for exempt transactions must contain the proper state statute exempt verbiage.
- Be prepared to pay the tax ($3.50 per $1,000 of the full consideration price) for nonexempt transactions. There is a $40 processing fee for exempt transactions.
The Village prefers that the original deed be presented so that stamps can be affixed at the time of purchase. If the stamps are not affixed to the original deed at the time of purchase and becomes lost, the stamps will have to be repurchased.
The Finance Department is available for these transactions Monday through Friday, between the hours of 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Who is eligible for a refund?
- Romeoville residents only, selling a home they reside in, in Romeoville, and buying another Romeoville home which becomes their new principal residence.
- Must be owner and occupants
- Must sell and buy in Romeoville
- Must be within 12 months of one another.
Transfer Tax Forms
- Real Estate Transfer Tax Ordinance
- Real Estate Transfer Tax Guidelines (PDF)
- Real Estate Transfer Tax Clearance Letter (PDF): A clearance letter is required for all transactions including exempt stamps.
- Commercial Real Estate Transfer Tax Clearance Letter (PDF)
- Real Estate Transfer Tax Exemption Certificate (PDF)
- Real Estate Transfer Tax Refund Form (PDF)
Contact for Questions
Call 815-886-7212 or email email@example.com