I-55 & Weber Road Interchange
The Illinois Department of Transportation announces that as part of ongoing reconstruction of the Weber Road interchange in Romeoville and Bolingbrook, overnight lane closures, accompanied by 15-minute full expressway stops, will take place on both sides of Interstate 55 starting, weather permitting, Tuesday, Aug. 25, to Friday, Aug. 28.
The closures are necessary to install steel support beams for a new Weber Road bridge that will allow the interchange to be converted into a diverging diamond design. Each night, starting at 9 p.m., both sides of I-55 approaching Weber Road will be reduced to two lanes in each direction. A second lane in both directions will close at 11 p.m. At 12:01 a.m., full traffic stops for no longer than 15 minutes at a time will take place on both sides of the expressway near Weber Road. Exit and entrance ramps will remain open and all lanes reopen by 5 a.m. each morning.
The overall project involves adding a third lane to each direction of Weber Road between 135th Street/Romeo Road and 119th Street/Rodeo Road, with modernized traffic signals, new LED lighting, improved drainage and a barrier median. The entire project wraps up in early 2022.
Motorists can expect delays and should allow extra time for trips through this area. Drivers are urged to pay close attention to flaggers and signs in the work zones, obey the posted speed limits and be on the alert for workers and equipment.
In an effort to assist both businesses and residents through this project, useful information and contact info has been posted to the right.
PROJECT UPDATES AND DOCUMENTS:
I-55 & WEBER ROAD RECONSTRUCTION PROJECT TWO-WEEK OUTLOOK AS OF 8/24/20:
The completion date for the project is 1/10/2022; the original completion date was 8/06/21.
- Mainline concrete paving to begin by Monday, 8/24/20.
- Beams for new bridge to be set beginning Tuesday, 8/25/20, with deck to be completed by approximately the end of September.
- Ground improvement work continues at slough.
- Embankment, aggregate subgrade, and concrete placement at ramps.
- Noise wall column construction.
- Forming and pouring of concrete pavement at intersections; pouring begins at 135th Street on Monday, 8/24/20.
- Curb will be poured along the new pavement from N. Carillon Drive to the south end.
- Ground improvement work and box culvert construction at slough.
OVERVIEW OF PROJECT
- Click here to view a PDF of the Weber Road south improvement.
- Click here to view a PDF of information relating to the Weber Road north improvement.
local business information:
For more information click here.
For more information on how you could help our businesses, click here.